My rating: 4 of 5 stars
The Hunger Games is an action-packed thrill ride whose world is totally engrossing. It is fun young adult fare that can be enjoyed equally by adults. At the same time, it is a missed opportunity to further explore the dystopian world in which it is set.
Once you start reading The Hunger Games it is hard to put it down. The action is non-stop as Katniss fights for survival in the arena. Katniss is a strong female heroine that readers will really root for. She is smart and resourceful and willing to put her self in danger to help the people she cares about.
There is also a love triangle that will appeal to a lot of people. It's kind of similar to Twilight, but Katniss is a way more interesting heroine than Bella.
I found The Hunger Games to be a let down in one area. it begins to set up a great dystopian society for all of us dystopia/sci-fi fans, but it doesn't explore it as well as it could. Katniss spends most of her time in the arena, so the reader catches glimpses of the dystopia outside, and of course the Hunger Games themselves are a symptom of the dystopia, but we never delve into the deeper reasons behind it. Not that every young adult novel has to do this. I just thought it was a missed opportunity.
Bottom Line: The Hunger Games is a fast paced, engrossing read. Despite its missed opportunities, it's a novel no one should miss out on.
I read it Tuesday and agree with your review. Katniss is a great character to root for. I've started reading the second book and am enjoying it too.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by! Glad you're enjoying the second book. :)
DeleteI should have a review up for the second book tomorrow.
DeleteHey! I found you on Book Blogs. I followed you, will you follow me? http://saradaniell.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteBy the way, Hunger Games ROCKS! :)
Glad you stopped by. I'm following you too :)
DeleteI finished this the other day as well. One of the things I said to my wife is, "If there isn't a revolution in book 3, I'm going to be very disappointed."
ReplyDeleteNo spoilers from me ;)
DeleteIt's been a very popular series among young adults for a while. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the movie.
ReplyDeleteSounds are interesting! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the review, my daughter wants to read it, so I'm glad to see she won't be disappointed. As a Sci-Fiction fan, I too like to know the reason behind the world and why they got there,but maybe that will be revealed in the other books.
ReplyDeleteThis was the first entry that had seen from this blog which is a good source of reviews, so will follow. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteAlways love a good action-packed thrill ride.
ReplyDeleteI read it after my wife read it and we both liked it, she did more than me though. I thought the climatic ending in the games themselves was silly.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.ManOfLaBook.com
Yea the ending is kinda silly. It was a fun afternoon's read though :)
Delete